Thursday, June 17, 2010

crap, I missed "Bloomsday"...

Have you ever read "Ulysses" by James Joyce? Wow, it is an incredible, daunting, confusing and inspiring book. I took an entire seminar dedicated to reading and digesting this piece of literature. I love it. Joyce's novel takes place in a single day and loosely follows the structure of The Odyssey (as far as I can explain it).

June 16, the day the novel takes place, is traditionally celebrated as "Bloomsday". In honor of the day, authors of the graphic novel "Ulysses Seen" wanted it released as a free iPad app, as Apple had agreed. Well there was a censorship issue about some nude cartoons and the comic got edited. This caused an uproar, but really, this is the kinda controversy Ulysses was made for.

My point is that you have to check out the comic
. It is gorgeous and painstakingly detailed. I really want to have a copy so I can actually wrap my mind around the book. But I'm afraid it only exists in an online format.



You know, I am continually inspired by obsessive and creative people. I just can't get over the fact that someone has taken the time to complete this project. Good for them!

No comments: